Lead Production Manager
Join one of the UK’s fastest-growing experience agencies with a full-time role at Identity.
Salary: £55,000 – £65,000 per year (depending on experience)
Closing Date: 30/04/2021
Identity is a human experience agency with 20 years experience delivering pioneering solutions for global brands and governments. Due to our continuing success, we are looking to recruit a full-time Lead Production Manager to join our growing Production team. This is an excellent opportunity to be part of a diverse and talented company. Expect a team full of skilled and highly driven people with bags of passion and a real can-do attitude.
We are looking for someone who has at least 10 years experience in an agency environment, covering a multitude of delivery channels across events, exhibitions, sporting and greenfield and in particular experience in delivering high profile government. Strong attention to detail, a real passion for creativity and delivery and excellent team leadership and management skills are essential.
For the right candidate, this would be a great opportunity to further your career, working for a company that specialises in live events and works with clients such as Siemens, Huawei, Harley-Davidson, the Royal Navy, RAF and UK Government Departments.
Identity is based in Westham in East Sussex, however, contracted remote working is a possibility for the right candidate.
Disability Confident Commitment:
We aim to ensure that no candidate or employee receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of gender, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion or belief, age, gender reassignment, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity. We offer an interview to disabled candidates who meet the minimum criteria.
The main purpose of the role is to support and deputise for the Head of Production, and be responsible for the oversight, continuous improvement, and innovation of project delivery within the specified sub team, with a focus on quality assurance, delivering clients value for money and supply chain management.
Due to the potential scale of events, and delivery nuances with our government clients, a production sub team is in place to manage end to end delivery of complex projects. Projects must be delivered safely, competently, professionally, and profitably.
This is a blended managerial and delivery role so the post holder must be capable of relevant complex event delivery as well as team management.
This role will have 4 key responsibilities, in collaboration with the Head of Production.
- Management and resource planning of a small Production sub team and freelancers as required, including mentoring and monthly reviews
- Providing commercial and technical input and management into the proposal process for all proposals, maximising our chances of success.
- Oversight of and accountability for all production outputs within all relevant workstreams
- Senior level contribution at the Production Steering Group, to help guide the team and Identity business on continuous improvement and the attainment of company goals
Summary of Responsibilities
- Provide production, technical and commercial input and advice to support pitch teams in the feasibility and delivery of tender proposals.
- Ensure tender responses are developed and submitted within feasible delivery parameters.
- Working collaboratively with the Head of Production, HR and Resourcing teams on resource planning both for full time staff and freelancers.
- Determining the best approach for the build / production, feeding this into the design and costing process at the earliest opportunity
- Providing day to day support for Production Managers delivering projects
- Reviewing and approving project budgets
- Reviewing and approving project purchases
- Proactively overcoming risks and issues with projects and coaching the PM to overcome these
- Identifying lessons learned from projects and either feeding back to staff involved, implementing improvements or making recommendations to the Head of production
- Maintaining and implementing best practices, documenting where necessary
- Providing formal and informal budget estimates
Supplier and Contractor Management
- Sourcing and vetting of new suppliers and contractors in partnership with Head of Production and other Senior Level production teams
- Supporting PMs to negotiate best price, based on industry knowledge and experience
- Ensuring consistency, quality and value for money
- Working collaboratively with the team to define payment schedules based on work completed, minimising Identity’s exposure to risk
- Resolving Identity/contractor/supplier conflicts and disputes with the support of the Head of Production.
- Supporting production teams to ensure suppliers and contractors are representatives of Identity and work safely, being a point of escalation for any issues that the PM cannot resolve
Business Level Improvements:
- Implementing cost reductions where possible and driving continuous improvement activities in accordance with findings from continuous improvement reporting
- Providing regular reporting and feedback to Head of Production
- Identifying and implementing efficiencies in the way we work
Training & Development:
- Working with the wider team to share industry knowledge and experience
- Sharing best practice with the team and identifying training opportunities both personally and for others
- Providing in-office and on-site support with junior PMs
- Regularly appraising the competencies of Production Sub Team
- Providing 1-2-1 structured feedback to staff
Health & Safety Responsibilities:
Identity has an obligation under the Health and Safety at work act 1974 to provide safe and healthy working conditions.
The Lead Production Manager must ensure that the Health and Safety procedures and processes are maintained in line with CDM 2015 and Identity’s the Health and Safety Policy, a copy of which can be found on the Company Intranet.
- Setting a personal example of commitment to the standards of health, safety and welfare required by all employees
- Ensuring that all relevant health and safety and environmental regulations are strictly adhered to and that working practices of staff and contractors are safe and robust
- Encouraging good safety practice on all projects and discouraging indifferent management.
- Showing a clear understanding of personal responsibilities and duties under the relevant regulations, and to treat the health, safety and welfare of persons under their control as a matter of importance
- All employees shall be responsible for:
- Taking reasonable care of their own health and safety as well as that of other people around them
- Helping the company to comply with statutory duties
- Carrying out their work and using work equipment in accordance with the training they have received
- Not interfering with or misusing anything that is supplied by The Company for the purposes of health and safety.
All employees are required to co-operate with management in discharging this responsibility and must take reasonable care for the health and safety of themselves and others.
- Establish and maintain good communication and liaison between leadership and management teams and other employees in the company.
- Maintain professional internal and external relationships that meet company core values.
- Proactively establish and maintain effective working team relationships with all support departments.
- To contribute to the achievement of the business objectives.
- To adopt the company values and Identity Way – TRACC (Teamwork, Responsibility, Ambition, Creative, Caring). To build trust, value others, communicate effectively, drive execution, foster innovation, focus on delivery to customers, collaborate with others, solve problems creatively and demonstrate high integrity.
This list of duties is not exhaustive and other tasks and responsibilities will be required of the post holder including any other duties commensurate with the post as requested by the Managing Director or the Operations Director.
All information relating to customers and the business is to be treated confidentially in line with Company procedures.
Terms and Conditions of Employment
Other terms and conditions are as reflected in the contract of employment.
(A job description is a written statement of essential characteristics of the job, with its principal accountabilities, incorporating a note of the skills, knowledge and experience required for a satisfactory level of performance. This is not intended to be a complete, detailed account of all aspects of the duties involved).
- GCSE in Maths at Grade C or equivalent
- GCSE in English at Grade C or equivalent
- Full UK Driving Licence
- Formal H&S training
- In-depth experience across multiple delivery sectors and comfortable delivering those project / guiding others in their execution. (Exhibitions, events, conference, green field, fixed facility, road shows, government projects). Previously experience of working on government events is not mandatory but would be of particular interest.
- Has worked internationally and has experience and understanding of regional nuances, pitfalls, H&S, unions etc.
- Confident and experienced with all technical, logistical and scenic / manufacturing requirements for delivery sectors listed above
- Proven people management experience
- Commercial awareness and understanding of business impacts.
- Ability to present information clearly and concisely
- Good level of computer literacy, particularly regarding databases, Microsoft applications
- Excellent working knowledge and practical experience across all relevant event sectors of H&S process. Able to write relevant H&S plans and RAMS. Understands legislation and legal implications of project decisions. Confident in challenging suppliers, clients and management on H&S breaches and / or bad practice.
- Proven organisational skills with ability to effectively multitask
- Proven people management skills, ideally with experience in resource management and fulltime line management
- Proven financial management across multimillion pound projects and cross currency.
- Proven Client management skills to include good oral and written communication.
- Ability to work in a customer focused manner
- Can demonstrate the ability to carry out tasks within set timeframes
- Self-prioritise workload according to the business needs and delegate effectively.
- Excellent time management skills
- Self-motivated with a strong desire to succeed
- Proactive mentality to problem solving with creative application of knowledge and creative thinking.
- Hands on, can do approach
- Calm and collected under pressured situations
- Must be professional and smart in appearance
- Commitment to Identity TRACC principles
Identity is a full-service live events agency with headquarters in East Sussex. Our team of over 80 talented people works with a number of global brands and government departments specialising in the design, project management and delivery of live events in the UK and internationally.
- Competitive salary
- Dynamic, friendly, tight-knit team operating in a creative and supportive environment
- Regular subsidised social activities planned throughout the year
- Free fresh fruit is available daily to all staff
- Pension scheme
- 25 days holiday entitlement
- Birthday day off
- Additional holiday after a period of continuous service
- Our clients include Apple, Google, New Balance, Formula E and UK Government Departments
- Potential to travel with your work throughout Europe and further afield
- Identity believes in investing in their staff so opportunities for personal development and training will be available.
- Near Eastbourne with good road and rail links to London, Brighton, Lewes, Bexhill, Hastings, Tunbridge Wells and surrounding areas (approx. 90 minutes from Central London or 30 minutes from Brighton)
How To Apply
Please email your full CV and covering letter detailing your experience and suitability for the role to firstname.lastname@example.org.