There isn’t one particular way to be a good leader but there are some great approaches to help you become one. Being a leader means acknowledging the perspectives of others, supporting those around you and accepting that you need your team in order to be successful. It’s about displaying a winning attitude at all costs to induce positivity in your work environment.
Good leaders enjoy shining a light on the talented individuals they have surrounding them and understand that by doing so doesn’t dim their own light. Most importantly leaders must understand that they need those around them in order to lead. Here are some of my favourite quotes about leadership.
1. “The leader is the person who brings a little magic to the moment.”
– Denise Morrison
2. “Before you become a leader, success is all about growing yourself. After you become a leader, success is about growing others.”
– Jack Welch
3. “Leadership is about making others better as a result of your presence and making sure that impact lasts in your absence.”
– Sheryl Sandberg
4. “I think whether you’re having setbacks or not, the role of a leader is to always display a winning attitude.”
– Colin Powell
5. “Leadership is the capacity to translate vision into reality.”
– Warren Bennis
6. “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.”
– Peter Drucker
7. “To handle yourself, use your head; to handle others, use your heart.”
– Eleanor Roosevelt
8. “The key to successful leadership is influence, not authority.”
– Kenneth H. Blanchard
9. “The secret of leadership is simple: Do what you believe in. Paint a picture of the future. Go there. People will follow.”
– Seth Godin
10. “It’s not about you. It’s about them.”
– Clint Eastwood
With great leadership comes great responsibility. You’ll have to consider those around you and how you are presenting yourself to them as they will be looking to you for guidance and reassurance. Have you got what it takes?